Sunday, January 18, 2015

Thoughts on Martin Luther King, Jr.

So, honestly, my first thought about Martin Luther King Day is always the same:  we should definitely celebrate that wonderful man.

Unfortunately, my second thought is almost always the same, too:  It’s a shame that Martin Luther King ever had to stand up for people.

I mean, really.  It seems like such a shame that we can’t just figure out some way to get along.  Didn’t we all learn that in Kindergarten?  How to get along?

If you didn’t, listen up, people, because I found something that should totally rock your world off its axis.  Seriously.

Recently, I started a new plan for Bible reading that completes the Bible in one year.  In the past, my attempts have been very scattered and rarely successful, but this year I am trying something new.  Keep me accountable.  Anyway, the year ended with the end of the both the New and Old Testaments, and I came across a verse I had never seen before.  I have been thinking about it to this very day, and I think in light of this holiday celebration, I want to share it with you.

Malachi 2:10 says this:  “Have we not all one Father?  Has not one God created us?  Why, then are we faithless to one another, profaning the covenant of our Fathers?”

Let that sink in for a moment.  I am pretty sure that if you look up the word “all” in this verse you will find that it means that NO ONE is left out.  We share a father – like Tony Evans once said – if you call God Father, and I call God Father, doesn’t that make us siblings?  Yep.  It does.

A week or so ago I posted something about how we have to rule over sin (See Genesis 4:7).  Why do we think that this does not extend to the sin of not being able to get along with people with a different color of skin? 

Sometimes, regrettably, our attitudes towards people of different color are taught to us as children.  Some of us have more to overcome there than others.  My parents were born in the Depression era.  It sort of surprised me later that I could find things in the way that I was brought up that made my family racist.  What about yours?  And I am not just talking to white people, here, friends.

This is a gospel problem.  This is a sin problem.  If this is a sin that you find yourself in, you need to abolish it.  You really need to deal with this problem.  The world is watching to see Christians get something right.  We cannot afford to sin in this way.  It is, perhaps, more damming to us than any other sin apart from preaching heresy.

I say that because it is so prevalent.  So many people are out there claiming that some of their best friends are (fill in a color here), while secretly still hating those of that color.  You do the surgery.  Cut deeply into your heart of attitudes and see if you are part of the problem, and not the solution.  It does not honor the God that we say that we love to treat other people with contempt because they look different.

My friends Mitch and Char are in Africa serving the Lord.  My friends Luther and Ronda want to do this, too.  I have friends serving the Lord with a tribe in Papua.  They don’t care about color so much. 


What about my friends living in America?  Will you lay down the unjust hatred you have towards people who look different this Martin Luther King Day?  Isn’t it time you did?  After all, there is only once race – the human one.

No comments:

Post a Comment